Despite scientifically being a fruit, the tomato is botanically classified as a vegetable, just like cucumber and zucchini.
Tomatoes are known to be the chief source of antioxidants that bestows numerous health benefits, which includes lessened heart risk disease and also cancer. It’s a common fact that tomatoes are citric in nature and hence is a great source of vitamin C.
Tomatoes come in various colours- green, red, orange, yellow and purple too. Usually, the red tomato is preferred to consume.
Nutritive Facts (100 grams- one medium sized tomato):
- Water content- 95%
- Remaining 5% comprises carbohydrates and fiber
- 18 calories
- Carbs- 3.9 g
- Sugar- 2.6 g
- Fiber- 1.2 g
- Fat- 0.2 g
- Saturated- 0.03 g
- Monounsaturated- 0.03 g
- Polyunsaturated- 0.08 g
- Omega-3- 0 g
- Omega-6 – 0.08 g
- Trans fat- Nil
Let us now read out what are the actual health benefits of tomatoes are. Check it out:-
- Extremely Beneficial for Skin and Hair-
Tomatoes help in maintaining healthy skin and hair. Application of raw tomatoes on to tanned skin helps to remove the sunburn.
There are many kinds of masks that can be applied on the skin. Here are the two most efficient ways of using tomatoes given below. Just opt for the one which fits for you in the best way possible.
- Cut a medium-sized fresh red tomato into halves. Take one half and rub few sugar granules into Then apply it on your face, neck, throat and hands (all over those parts that have been exposed to sunlight and become tanned) in a circular motion. The sugar granules will help to exfoliate the skin just as a scrub does. Along with it the raw juice of the tomato will eventually penetrate into the skin and work as a bleaching agent. The juice of tomato, if applied on a daily basis, will help to reduce the sunburn and will, in turn, bring you back your natural complexion within a month.
- Another way to avail its benefits on your skin is to use it as a face mask. Take a bowl, take 2 tablespoons full of gram flour, one medium sized red tomato in smashed form and one teaspoon lemon juice. You can also add honey into it, though it is optional (only for people with dry skin). Mix it well and make it a smooth lump-free Wash your face thoroughly with clean water. Apply the mask on your face, neck, throat and hands (all over those parts that have been exposed to sunlight and become tanned). Keep it for 25-20 minutes. Let it dry. Then wash it off with mild hot water. Apply rose water after washing off the mask. This will instantly give you a glowing skin.
Tomatoes can also be used to nourish the hair. It contains vital vitamins like A, B, C and E. These are outstanding stimulants for nurturing healthy hair. All these nutrients help in hair loss, cures dandruff as well as scalp odour and adds natural shine to your hair too. The citric nature of tomatoes helps to fight the accumulation of fungal infection on the scalp that eventually prohibits hair growth. Tomato juice can be used as a natural conditioner that will make your hair smooth and defend it from environmental pollution. Tomato juice helps to enhance the pH levels in the hair scalp.
Here are the two most efficient ways of using tomato for achieving healthy hair. Just opt for the one which fits you the best.
- Oily hair- Make tomato puree. For that, you have to take one medium-sized ripe red tomato. Peel off the skin with knife delicately. Put it into a blender and make a fine paste of it. Take it out in a bowl. Now lubricate your hair with this paste gently from the roots to the ends of the hair. Keep it for half an hour. Then wash it off with a mild
- Dry Hair- Take 3 tablespoons full of tomato puree. Add 1 tablespoon of honey into If possible add any essential oil of your choice- be it tea tree oil, lemon oil, or anything else (5-6 drops). Apply it all over your hair. Keep it for an hour. Then wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Hair Growth Mask- Take 3 tablespoons full of tomato puree. Add fresh lemon juice 1 tablespoon and 1 clove of smashed garlic. Apply it and wash it off after an hour.
- Helps in Improving the Power of Vision-
Tomato contains vitamin A, flavonoid B complex, niacin, and much more effective nutrients that are very much efficient in curing eye diseases. It helps to enhance the vision.
- Good for Heart-
Tomatoes are a major source of potassium. It provides about 237 mg of potassium which is very essential to regulate heart rate in a proper way. It is helpful in preventing heart diseases and stroke as well.
- Controls Blood Pressure Level-
Tomatoes are comprised of very essential nutrients and minerals. It aids in controlling high blood pressure. It also regulates the high cholesterol in our body.
- Effective for Bones and Teeth-
Being a rich provider of calcium, it is prone to progress the strength of bones in the body. It is useful for maintaining healthy teeth.
- Helps in Weight loss-
Tomatoes are low in calories. So it can be consumed as salad or in the form of soup to shed off those extra pounds accumulated in the body.
- Anti-Inflammatory Agent –
Tomato seeds contain lycopene and beta-carotene which diminishes free radicals. To be precise, free radicals are responsible for activating inflammatory compounds. SO, consuming tomatoes are beneficial as it aids to arrest inflammation. Hence, tomato seeds work as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Regulates Resistance Power-
Tomato flesh and seeds have been revered to as immunizing agents. They are useful in preventing cold and influenza. Lack of resistance occurs due to lower levels of lycopene and beta-carotene. Since tomato seeds are rich in lycopene and beta-carotene, it is extremely beneficial for boosting up the immune power.
- Acts an Anti-Aging Substance-
Tomatoes enable the skin to engross oxygen. The more oxygen the skin absorbs, the younger and rejuvenating it will look. It, therefore, prevents the early sign of ageing. Without much effort, your skin will look flawless.
- It Can be also Used as a Stress Reliever-
Extracts of raw tomato can be used in oils for massaging the body. It helps to fight the visible indicators of stress on the skin.
- Prevents Cancer-
Being a major source of antioxidant, this veggie is useful in preventing unsolicited ailments in the lungs, colon and breasts, which are prone to be cancerous. The antioxidants present in tomatoes are efficient in the therapy of cancer by inhibiting carcinogenic reactions in the body.
- Inhibits Urinary Tract Infections-
Consumption of tomato extinguishes the occurrence of urinary tract infections, along with bladder cancer too. Since tomatoes are high in water content, it eventually activates urination. This helps to diminish toxins from our body, along with additional water, uric acid, salts and bad fats as well.
There is no end of the utility of this multipurpose vegetable. Tomatoes are being consumed extensively in Indian cuisine, as well as in continental dishes. Tomatoes enhance the overall flavour of a recipe. Consumption of tomatoes will provide anecdotal health benefits. It can be used for your beauty regime and nutrition regime as well. Love fresh tomatoes, stay fit!
Also Read: Spirulina Benefits