Jackfruit is mainly a sweet, delicious and exotic fruit grown in the tropical region of the world. It belongs to the Moraceae plant family. Jackfruit is also the largest tree fruit in the world and it can be up to 35 kg in weight and 90 cm in length. It has a spiky outer skin and it is green and yellow in colour.
It is packed with proteins and lots of nutrients like vitamin B, potassium, magnesium and so other minerals. The flesh or fruit pod of the jackfruit can be consumed when it’s ripe and unripe. When it is unripe (green), it is similar in texture to chicken. So, it is known as “vegetable meat”. its seeds are also safe to eat. These seeds which are rich in thiamine and riboflavin helps to keep our skin, eye and hair healthy. It also used to prevent foodborne illnesses. It is also used as a substitute for meat as it’s texture is comparable to shredded meat.
Now, take a look at the nutritional value of the one cup of sliced jackfruit.
- Calories: 155
- Carbs: 40 grams
- Fibre: 3 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Vitamin A: 10% of the RDI
- Vitamin C: 18% of the RDI
- Riboflavin: 11% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 15% of the RDI
- Potassium: 14% of the RDI
- Copper: 15% of the RDI
- Manganese: 16% of the RDI
Okay now, let’s have a look at the health benefits of jackfruit.
- Controls Blood Sugar Level:
- Jackfruit has a low glycemic index (GI) which is helpful to promote blood sugar level.
- It also has some proteins that help to prevent blood sugar level from quickly rising after a meal.
- The flavonoids present in jackfruit also play a role to maintain blood sugar level.
- Protects Against Diseases:
- The vitamin C presents in jackfruit helps to prevent inflammation that can lead to chronic diseases like cancer and heart diseases.
- Carotenoids help to lower the inflammation and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart diseases.
- Flavanone that contains anti-inflammatory properties may help lower blood pressure, lower sugar and cholesterol level.
- Helps in Curing Mental Stress:
Jackfruits are high in proteins and other micronutrients which helps it to manage mental stress level and various skin diseases.
- It improves immunity:
Since jackfruit is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants it helps to boost your immune system and protects you from an infection.
- Prevents Skin Problems:
- Several nutrients and antioxidant like vitamin C help to improve skin health.
- It is proved that eating jackfruit causes slow ageing.
- Prevents Anaemia:
- Jackfruit seeds are a great source of iron which is a component of haemoglobin. Eating haemoglobin rich foods in your diet can eliminate the risk of anaemia and other blood disorders.
- Iron also keeps our heart and brain healthy.
- Enhances Vision Power:
- Being rich in vitamin A it also provides a healthy nutrition to our eyes.
- It helps to protect our eye from bacterial and viral infection.
- It saves the eyes from harmful light waves like UV rays.
- It is also effective in preventing degeneration of the retina and helps to reduce the risks of cataract.
- Strengthens Bones:
Jackfruit contains a high amount of calcium that strengthens the bones and potassium presents in jackfruits prevents bone-related disorder like arthritis, osteoporosis etc.
- Controls Asthma:
Free radicals often cause the asthmatic attack on our body. Jackfruit eliminates these free radicals that are triggered by the pollution and thus control our body from asthma.
- Helps in Thyroid Metabolism:
Being rich in copper jackfruits helps in thyroid metabolism especially in hormone production.
It also helps people who are suffering from a thyroid disorder.
- Helps to Build Muscle:
- As jackfruits have high-quality protein it helps to build muscles.
- And the protein that we get from jackfruits is cholesterol-free.
- Prevents Indigestion:
- If you are suffering from indigestion jackfruit seeds will be useful for you.
- At first sundry the seeds and then grinds it to a powder to use it as a quick home remedy for indigestion.
- It also prevents constipation as it is rich in dietary fibre.
- Fight Against Wrinkles:
Jackfruit seeds also help to fight wrinkles on your face. In order to avoid wrinkles, you should take a seed of jackfruit and grind it smoothly with cold milk and apply it on your face.
- Gives a Glowing Complexion:
Jackfruit, a fibre-rich fruit helps our system to detoxify and gives you a glowing complexion.
- Source of Energy:
- Jackfruit is rich in carbohydrate and calorie which gives you instant energy like fructose and sucrose.
- It also has zero cholesterol which makes it a healthy food.
- Prevents Colon Cancer:
The dietary fat presents in jackfruit cleanses the toxin from the colon and thus it gives protection from colon cancer.
- Prevents Ulcer:
It has strong anti-ulcerative properties which help to cure ulcer and many other digestive system disorders.
In one word, jackfruit is good for us for many reasons like health benefits. It is also easily available in the summer season. You can make many recipes with it. It is also used as a meat alternative too. So, add jackfruits to your diet because it is worth a try.
More Link: Blueberries Benefits and Side Effects