Citrus x Sinensis or commonly known as Oranges are the world’s most popular fruits that belongs to a large group of a fruit family known as citrus fruits. Its cultivation started in eastern Asia but today it is grown in most of the warm regions of the world.
Oranges are a healthy source of fibre, vitamin C, folate and antioxidants. It is consumed either as a fresh fruit or juice. It is the world’s most common cultivated trees which have a wide variety of types and diversity of uses. This nutrient-rich fruit promotes clear & healthy skin and lowers the risk for many diseases.
Now, let’s take a look at the nutritional value of a 100 grams orange.
- Calories: 47
- Water: 87%
- Protein: 0.9 gram
- Carbs: 11.8 grams
- Sugar: 9.4 grams
- Fibre: 2.4 gram
- Fat: 0.1 gram
- Saturated fat: 0.02 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.02 g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.03 g
- Omega 3: 0.01 g
- Omega 6: 0.02 g
Now, let’s have a look at the health benefits of oranges:
1. Orange Maintains Good Heart Health: Nowadays, heart disease has become the world’s most common cause of premature death.
- Flavonoid presents in oranges has protective effects against heart diseases.
- Intake of isolated fibers from citrus fruits like oranges decreases the blood cholesterol level and helps to maintain heart health.
- Oranges are full of potassium which helps the heart to function properly.
- The potassium presents in oranges are associated with a reduced risk of stroke, kidney stones and gives protection against loss of muscle mass.
2. It Prevents Kidney Stone:
- Oranges are rich in citric acid and citrates which helps to prevent kidney stone formation.
- Patient with kidney stones is often prescribed potassium citrate.
3. Prevents Anaemia:
- Decreasing of red blood cells or haemoglobin in the blood is called anaemia which is caused by iron deficiency.
- Oranges are not a good source of iron but an excellent source of organic acids such as ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and citric acid which helps in iron absorption from the digestive tract. Thus, it reduces the risk of anaemia.
4. Helps to Fight Against Cancer:
- Oranges are rich in citrus limonoids, a compound that helps to fight a number of varieties of cancers including skin, lung, stomach, breast and colon.
- According to studies, it is also shown that mandarin oranges reduce liver cancer.
- Vitamin c presents in the oranges also protects the cells from chronic diseases like heart diseases and cancer by neutralizing free radicals.
- One study in Korea found that high intake of citrus fruits can reduce the risk of developing breast cancer up to 10%.
5. It is High in Antioxidants:
- Citrus fruits like oranges are fully packed with antioxidants that prevent oxidative stress and protects against chronic diseases like heart diseases, cancer and diabetes.
- It contains bioflavonoids like hesperidin and hesperetin which helps to neutralize free radicals, reduces inflammation and decreases the damage of the cells.
6. Orange Enhances The Immunity System:
- Being rich in vitamin C oranges has the ability to improve immune function.
- It is also proved that vitamin C can shorten the duration of respiratory tract infections like a common cold.
- It may improve the outcome for conditions like pneumonia, malaria, diarrhoea etc.
7. It Doesn’t Cause Blood Sugar Spike:
- Oranges have a glycemic index of 40 that is considerable and it doesn’t spike blood sugar level.
- So, eating so many oranges at one time won’t cause problems with insulin or weight gain.
8. It Protects Skin:
- Oranges are rich in beta-carotene which is a powerful antioxidant that protects our cell from damage and fights free radicals and prevents our skin from the sign of ageing.
- It contains vitamin C, an antioxidant that helps in the formation of collagen (support system of skin), reduces wrinkles, improves skin texture and thus helps to protect our skin.
9. It Helps to Boost up Brain Function: The flavonoids present in oranges helps to preserve cognitive function and prevents neurodegenerative disorders like dementia or Alzheimers.
10. It Fights Against Viral Infection: Polyphenol, a compound presents in oranges protects our body from viral infections.
11. It Maintains Eye Health: Oranges contain a compound known as carotenoids which convert to vitamin A and helps in preventing macular degeneration.
12. It Helps to Alkalize Body: Oranges are acidic in nature. But when you digest, it tries to balance out the body as it contains many alkaline minerals.
13. Orange recipes:
- It is very simple to eat a fresh orange or you can make juice from it. Orange juice is very healthy for our health and you can make fruit salads by using this.
- You can also make a few recipes like cinnamon orange crunchy granola, mandarin orange and kale salad, mandarin orange green smoothie, orange carrot ginger juice, healthy dark chocolate orange truffles etc. by using oranges.
- Nowadays, the insecticide is spread over all oranges. So, wash under cold water very well before use it.
- It is better to use organic oranges as it doesn’t have chemicals and these oranges are the best for zest preparation.
- People who are susceptible to foodborne illness should avoid unpasteurized or fresh-squeezed juice as it contains harmful bacteria. In that case, they should try pasteurized juice.
Orange is not only a popular fruit but healthy too. It has so many health benefits that are above mentioned. So, adding some slice of this tasty and juicy fruit to your diet will be much worthy.
Also Read: Ginger Health Benefits